Maria Barbayannis was admitted into practice in 1980. She graduated with a Masters of Laws in 1986, a Bachelor of Laws in 1979 and a Bachelor of Arts in 1979 all from Monash University. She was a tutor in Law at Monash University and a lecturer in Law at the University of Melbourne, prior to devoting herself to full time private legal practice. She became an Accredited Family Law specialist in 1990. Maria has a vast experience in Family Law. Her CV runs to many pages. She has served on various legal committees, has written many articles on legal issues, has presented many papers at various seminars and conferences and has been a regular commentator on Family Law issues. She is also a collaborative lawyer with a successful track record of cases resolved via this relatively new, (in the Australian landscape), alternative approach to family law matters that are suitable to same. Maria is one of the most recognized and respected lawyers in Victoria practicing in the area of Family Law, and is very highly regarded in the legal and wider community.
Maria has been the Principal of her own private practice specialising in family law for about 35 years. She leads a team of eight lawyers at the firm.
Maria’s area of expertise is vast, include “big money” cases, commercial property disputes, third party property matters, collaborative law and she has also been involved in many relocation (national and international) and Hague Convention cases (international abduction of children). One of Maria’s international relocation matters was ultimately determined by the Full Bench of the High Court of Australia. All clients of Barbayannis Lawyers have the benefit of Maria’s significant experience as she supervises all matters and acts in a mentoring capacity to more junior lawyers.
Maria, because of her experience and academic background, has been for many years a member of the Family Law Advisory Committee of the Law Institute of Victoria in relation to specialisation of other lawyers in the area of Family Law.
- Property disputes
- Spousal Maintenance
- Complex and large scale Financial Disputes
- Financial agreements
- Domestic and same sex relationships
- Children’s matters and parenting issues, including infants and young children
- Child support
- Adult Child Maintenance
- Divorce proceedings
- Relocation Cases (local, interstate and international)
- Hague Convention Cases (international abduction of children)
- Many years as an Independent Children’s Lawyer
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Masters of Laws
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts
- Admitted to practice in 1980
- Accredited Family Law Specialist since 1990
- Collaborative Lawyer
- Family Law Section, Law Council of Australia
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Vice President Hellenic Australian Lawyers Association
- Family Law Advisory Committee of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators
Maria speaks Greek fluently and she is actively involved in the Greek community. She is Vice President of the Hellenic Australian Lawyers Association